An advanced course in Mussar learning
and practice as well as a training program to prepare people.
Guided by Alan Morinis and Shirah Bell
Anyone with a background in Mussar study and practice (whether through
the Mussar Institute or elsewhere) is welcome to apply to the Pathlighters
you want to do deep spiritual work on yourself, or because you can see
yourself leading Mussar groups in your community, or both.
COURSE DESCRIPTION & CURRICULUM
Rabbi Yisrael Salanter, founder of the Mussar Movement, on
leading and encouraging others to study Mussar:
“To this a person should give his heart:
to confer merit upon the public by awakening
them to contemplate fear and Mussar…. Likewise,
he should endeavor with all of his being to strengthen
the study of Mussar, so that the masses will
endeavor to study Mussar, thereby increasing
the fear of HaShem. When he does so, the public
merit will be ascribed to his efforts. How lofty
should this mitzvah be in man’s eyes – to
give his heart and soul to guide people in Mussar
study and to save theirs souls from Gehinnom.”
Focusing on cultivating personal middot (soul-traits),
the training provides the methods and resources needed to become proficient
at the art of leading Mussar groups.
- Reading a Mussar text and balancing traits (middot).
- Chanting (hitpa’alut).
- Meditation and affirmations (hitbonenut).
- Journaling (cheshbon
ha’nefesh) and reflection.
- Partner (chevruta) study.
- Group (va’ad) learning and designing study
- One-on-one guidance in Mussar study.
- Interpersonal dynamics, group facilitation, handling difficult
- Training in meaning of Hebrew words, using sacred terminology,
and bringing Mussar texts into present-day language.
- Two day retreat at the beginning of the program.
- Closing Shabbaton in conjunction with the annual Mussar Kallah (optional).
- Chevruta (partner) study for whole year.
- Practicum—leading at least one group at home after second
- One or two one-on-one mentoring clients at home. (optional).
- Reading assignments and reflection papers.
- Email communication with class members about Mussar topics.
- A monthly teleclass with the teachers focused on the readings
and practicum, including outstanding teachers from the Mussar Kallahs.
- Regular emails and occasional phone calls with faculty mentor.
Should you have an interest in leading Mussar
groups in your local community, as a Pathlighter we’ll not only
train you in Mussar group leadership skills, we'll also equip you with
a curriculum we’ve created to guide a group, which has already
been used very successfully in several cities.
Feel free to contact us for more information, or email firstname.lastname@example.org.